All powers to grant or not to grant visa to any foreigner shall be vested in Nepal Government. Nepal Government may allow entering into Nepal to the citizen of any friendly country without visa on the basis of reciprocity.
Though the Government of Nepal issues and regularizes several visas (Diplomatic Visa, Official Visa, Study Visa, Tourist Visa, Non-Tourist Visa, Business Visa, Non-residential Nepali Visa, Residential Visa, Transit Visa), the Embassy normally processes tourist visa.
It takes two working days for the issuance of a tourist visa. One day to verify and approve online visa application and another day to issue visa.
All the personal details to be filled and the required documents to be submitted for the visa are clearly mentioned in the link below or you may go through the user manual.
** Please refer to ‘USER MANUAL’ in the link above if you need guidance for online visa application.
Documents required for online submission:
- Passport copy with at least six months validity (upload JPG, JPEG, PNG File only).
- One PP size Photograph (upload JPG, JPEG or PNG only).
Documents required when you visit Embassy:
- Original passport/travel document with at least 6 months validity.
- A confirmation slip generated from the online visa application system.
- Cash in USD for the visa fee (mentioned below)
|Type of Visa||Visa Fee|
|15 days Multiple Entry||$30/-|
|30 days Multiple Entry||$50/-|
|90 days Multiple Entry||$125/-|
*Note: Applicants visiting the Embassy without filling up the online visa application form will not be entertained.
- Visa Hour: 10:00 am-12:00 pm.
- Once the visa is issued, it will not be amended, and visa fees will not be refunded.
- Payment must be made in cash. Currencies other than USD will not be accepted.
- Visa will expire in six months from the date of issue. The validity of visa date is counted from the date of arrival in Nepal
- Children under the age of 10 shall be issued with a visit visa free of cost.
- Employment is strictly prohibited under this category of visa.
A tourist visa can be extended from the Department of Immigration, Kathmandu and Pokhara Immigration Office for a total of 120 days. An additional 30 days visa may be granted on reasonable grounds from the Department. Over the course of a visa year (1st January to 31st December), a tourist cannot stay in Nepal more than cumulative 150 days.
Visa on Arrival:
Visitors may also obtain On Arrival Tourist Visa at the following Entry Points in Nepal:
- Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA), Kathmandu
- Kakarbhitta, Jhapa
- Raxaul, Birgunj, Parsa
- Belhiya, Sunauli, Rupendehi
- Jamunaha, Nepalgunj, Banke
- Mohana, Dhangadi, Kailali
- Gaddachauki, Mahendranagar
- Kodari, Sindhupalchok
- Kerung, Rasuwagadhi, Rasuwa
- Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are ‘Tourist Visas’. They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa ‘On Arrival’ is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ‘Tourist Visa’ to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
- Nationals of following countries are requested to acquire Visa prior their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government.
- Refugees with travel document
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane:
- Fill in ‘Arrival Card’
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa’ form (you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting official website of the Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement (15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
- While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
- On Arrival Visa Fee at Entry Points
- 15 Days – 30 USD
- 30 Days – 50 USD
- 90 Days – 125 USD
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport.
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
- Visa Extension Fee
- Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
- In the case of delay less than 150 days additional USD 5 per day as late fine.
Visa Exemption for holders of Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport.
Based on the reciprocal agreements between the two countries, Nepali visa exemption facilities are available to the followings:
- 1. Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport holders of the following countries are exempted from the visa requirement to enter and stay in Nepal, exit from Nepal and transit through Nepal.
- Thailand – Exemption up to 90 Days
- Russian Federation – Exemption up to 90 Days
- People’s Republic of China – Exemption up to 30 Days
- Federal Republic of Brazil – Exemption up to 90 Days
- Myanmar – Exemption up to 90 Days
- Vietnam – Exemption up to 90 Days
- Cambodia – Exemption up to 30 Days
- Mongolia – Exemption up to 90 Days
- Jordan – Exemption up to 90 Days
- State of Israel – Exemption up to 90 Days
- Georgia – Exemption up to 90 Days
- State of Qatar – Exemption up to 90 Days
However, they are subjected to visa regulation after the stipulated duration of exemption.
- Diplomats and officials with Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport working at the following diplomatic mission in Nepal and their dependents with Diplomatic and Official or Service Passport, staying with them in Nepal are exempted from the visa requirement till the former’s tenure in Nepal.
- A) Russian Federation
- B) Peoples Republic of China
- C) Federal Republic of Brazil
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years except US citizens
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa ‘On Arrival’.
- Non Residential Nepalese (NRN) card holder (issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
For further inquiry:
Phone No. +7-499-2528215
Note: Lunch break between (13:00 – 14:00hrs)
For more information regarding Nepal visa, immigration rules and regulations and trekking information, please visit the website below:
Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: 977-1 -4423138 / 4428548/ 4429660/4438862
Fax: 977-1-4433934 /4433935
Email: 1. email@example.com,
Air Port Immigration Office: 01-4113045